I thought that on DLT tapes that it doesn't do any compression on the actuall
data, but compreses the way it writes it to the tape.  With a DLT 4000 drive it
is twice as fast to write a tape compressed than it is uncompressed.  From what I
understand it uses two heads to write the tape instead of one.  Maybe that is
only hardware compression and software is different?  I think that you may be
thinking of something else.  Maybe that is how it is compressed on other tapes
but I don't think so with DLT or perhaps AIT-2.
I would recomend that it has hardware compression.  Much faster.
I have seen the specs on the AIT-2 tapes and am rather impressed.  I would love
to get one of these drives.
If you get a DLT-8000 drive you can compress the drive to store 80 GB of data ( I
think thats right.  The 4000 compressed is 40 and the 7000 is 65 I think ).
I can get 100 MB a minute from my drive.  The 7000 and 8000 drives are even
faster ( up to 600 MB a minute ).
If the drive models are confusing it is because I use a ADIC drive and don't know
it these are specific to ADIC or it they are standard dirve models.  Sorry if
this is confusing.

sim