None of the cable providers is going to hassle you as long as you can answer
their questions. With MediaOne, you'll need to know the MAC address of the
ethernet card you intend to use (mutiple MAC addresses if you're paying $10
more for 3 ips.)

Time Warner doesn't care. The only MAC address they care about is the one of
belonging to the cable modem they give you. From there, you can get up to 5
ips. (Neener neener neener you AT&T folks.) Down side with time warner is
that their dhcp service has proven to be rather unstable. Unstable to the
point where we gave up on public IPs all togher and went back to the
traditional NAT box. (Well, it's OpenBSD instead of Linux...)

Our installer came with a questionaire about system specs. Our answers went
something like this:
processor: semi-fast
ram: enough
hard drive space: always in need of more.
nic: lots of them.

With AT&T you get a rather blinky UFO like cable modem thing from 3com. We
got a boring Toshiba from Time Warner, it hides nicely in the entertainment
center.

--
| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |