I've had cable service in two locations now (Duluth and Plymouth) so I guess
that makes me an expert. ;-)

Assuming he's getting a service similar to the two I've had the cable "modem"
is an external box. In Duluth Charter used Samsung units, ATT is using 3Coms.
This connects via 10BaseT Ethernet to a standard NIC. As far as using Linux
is concerned he needs to get DHCP setup.  Unless the company actually says
they support Linux he may want to get a small Win9x partition setup for the
install. Most of the installers simply come in hook up the device to the
cable, to the computer, and then run some "installation" software that checks
the connection downloads a file (large in the 20Mb range) to get a throughput
rating that the installer feeds back into the install report. Most of the
systems key off of the MAC address of the NIC. In my case I had them do the
install on the Win 95 side of a dual boot box and then slipped the NIC into
my firewall box and away I went.

As for getting hassled for running Linux, for the most part they don't care
what you run once it installed. They most likely wont guaranty a level of
service if the install is done on a Linux box because they can't use the
software to do the full check.

Rambling on...
Jack