On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Jim Crumley wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:29:50PM -0600, Michael Hicks wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a utility for verifying MP3 files under Linux?  I
> > had some disk corruption a while ago, and I'd like to find all of my
> > broken sound files so I can re-rip and encode them.
>
> I don't know of any verification utility, so I would probably
> just use a one liner with a commandline mp3 player and
> test the mp3s by playing them. In [t]csh:
>
> find . -name "*.mp3" -print -exec  mpg123 {} \; >& mp3.log

Verify in what sense?  This might verify not that it's an MPEG2-layer 3
compliant bitstream, but only whether mpg123 will barf.  Sure, it'll work
for purposes intended most times, but I don't recall if mpg123 has been
certified itself.

On a related note to the Vorbis thread, I know the gentleman at AT&T
Research who spent 14 years becoming the "inventor" of the mpeg encoders.
The patents are AT&T's shared with Fraunhofer, but Johnston's opinion is
that Vorbis is going to have a very tricky time skirting the issue of
patent infringement if they do have anything that works.  I think the
magnitude of the project is generally unappreciated, perhaps even by
Vorbis.  AT&T has 14 years of lawyers patenting JJ's every move,
good or bad.

(Disclaimer -- I don't like lawyers, these sorts of patent deals, and I
have no preference one way or the other as to encoders.  Perceptual coding
is an interest, but it's not how I want to *listen* to my music! <g>)

Cheers,
Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous