On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:29:50PM -0600, Michael Hicks wrote:
> Does anyone know of a utility for verifying MP3 files under Linux?  I
> had some disk corruption a while ago, and I'd like to find all of my
> broken sound files so I can re-rip and encode them.

I don't know of any verification utility, so I would probably
just use a one liner with a commandline mp3 player and
test the mp3s by playing them. In [t]csh:

find . -name "*.mp3" -print -exec  mpg123 {} \; >& mp3.log

( the >& writes both standard out and and standard error to
the file - I don't remember the Bourne syntax)

Run that command, and then search the log file for error
messages. Not very elegant, but it should work fine.
Of course if you have a lot of mp3s it would take
a while - you might be able to speed the process up by
sending the audio to /dev/null or something.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |