Is this NIC hooked up to mediaone.net and, if so, are you also using pump to
manage your dhcp connection (a.k.a. your "dynamic TCP/IP address")?

If this is the case, you should know that pump ties itself in knots trying
to renew an expired dhcp lease on mediaone.net for some reason.  The "fix"
for this is to beat it to the punch by sticking a new crontab entry in root's
crontab:
	> 01 * * * *       /sbin/pump -i eth0 -R
which will renew your lease at 1 minute after each hour... and thereby prevent
your dhcp lease (which, on mediaone.net, usually expires 12 hours after being
granted) from ever expiring.

Hope this helps'idly,

-S