Timothy Wilson <wilson at visi.com> writes:

> On 15 Feb 2001, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
> > Timothy Wilson <wilson at visi.com> writes:
> >
> > > This will be my first "real" server install that will be providing Internet
> > > services on a large scale. I really want to do things right.
> > >
> > > I think I'd like to give LVM a try on this beast.
> >
> > I don't know anything about LVM; this isn't a slam at LVM.  But I see
> > a problem with "real server install", "do things right", and "give LVM
> > try" in connection with the SAME server.  You shouldn't be "giving
> > things a try" on a critical production server that you want to do
> > right.
>
> I was kidding a bit. I maintain several Web and file servers now, but this
> will be the first server that cost more than both of my cars are worth put
> together. :-) My hope is that we're reaching a critical mass of sorts in our
> school district and use of the Web resources that have been developed so far
> will really grow over the next few months.

Ah, sticker shock.  It's amazing what full-blown commercial servers
can cost.  I'd *like* to get things like hot-swap power supplies and
hot-swap drives, but not enough to actually pay for them.

> In general, I'd say that many of us who aren't professional sysadmins worry
> a bit when undertaking large projects. Like many other hobbyists or
> amateurs, I'm essentially a team of one when it comes to taking care of this
> machine. The TCLUG has been an invaluable resource for me whenever
> I've stuck my neck out in the past and I'll continue to count on the advice
> of the list in the future. Besides, I know that for free beer I could
> probably have any number of the pros on the list over to help me out in
> person in a matter of minutes. :-)

The "gift economy" in action; where what confers status is doing
things, including helping people, and hoarding information to onesself
gains no status at all.

I love it.

(I should point out that I'm a software developer professionally,
though I've been responsible for a few systems as an adjunct to my
main responsibility from time to time.  I have been running a server
of my own on the Internet since sometime or other around 1993, which
has been overall extremely enjoyable.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/