On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 12:26:15PM -0600, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> I think I'd like to give LVM a try on this beast. It has Compaq's
> RAID controller which is supported in the kernel. We're getting two
> 18GB SCSI disks and plan to mirror them. I'm assuming that the RAID
> controller will take care of that. My question is regarding
> installing a system with LVM from the beginning.
>
> How would I do this on a Debian install?

Short answer, you can't do it from Potato install disks.  However, you
can do it the long way.  The setup you will likely want is one primary
partition for boot, one for swap, and one for the LVM physical volume
(which is then allocated into a volume group and its respective
logical volumes).  The trick is to get everything working w/o having
to have an old "install root partition" hanging around.  The easiest
way is to do a base Debian install on an IDE drive you plan on
removing after install, or some other form of removable media -- maybe
a custom version of Linuxcare BBC w/LVM support.  Do something like
install Debian on an iso image and burn it to CD.  Boot up the server
w/your BBC.  Create your partitions, create your LVM devices, mount
the logical volumes in the hierarcies you want them in, then cpio -p
the entire filesystem (except /boot) to the LVM disks.  cpio -p the
/boot hierarchy to the primary /boot parition.  Make sure /etc/fstab
uses the lvm devices.  Reboot and cross your fingers.

IOW, it won't be easy, but doable ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD