http://www.stack.nl/~brama/vcr/

I just installed it and I'm playing around with it.  Very cool.  Now if I
don't want to miss a show, I can just ssh into my linux box and do something
like:

at 21:00 vcr -p MTV -r 1860 jackass.avi

It'll record it to the file jackass.avi for 1860 seconds starting at 9:00pm.
You have to create a .vcrrc file with channel settings and codec settings in
it.  There's an example in the man page for vcr.  I'm using fast-motion DivX
now, as I used low-motion before and it was jerky during scenes with lots of
movement.  I'm using a celeron overclocked to 464Mhz and it drops a couple
frames here and there, but it's not so bad.

You also need the avifile package with the windows .DLL's for DivX (the
webpage has links to them), and you need Wine to load the .DLL's.

Apparently, someone wrote a web interface for it which pulled listings from
gist.com and would allow you to just click on the programs you wanted to
record, and it would schedule them and record them when they came on.  I
can't find it though.

A 30 minute show ends up being about 175MB at 384x288.  So most movies will
fit on a CDR.  Now if there was only a way to make it automatically stop
recording during commercials.  I wonder if Broadcast 2000 can edit DivX
files....

Jay