Jim Crumley wrote:

> What type of laptop do you have? Have you looked at the Linux on
> laptops page <www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/>?
> Do you know what sound chip your laptop has?  Its unlikely
> that you'd need a driver directly from IBM.

IBM Thinkpad i1720.  Has the MagicMedia 256AV Audio Device.  SuSe
detects it, but says that it can't be installed due to no available
driver.  I looked at a webpage on laptops but they didn't discuss this
particular issue.  Someone mentioned alsa and the like, but I tried and
couldn't get it to go.  Think it's an enduser issue.  Haven't had much
time to go beyond that.

Also, since the internal modem is a winmodem and so far a workable
solution hasn't been come up with on the drivers a while ago, I went out
and bought a pcmcia card.  The card works fine, get a nice 56k speed.
But what I'm after is that the card also allows me to plug into my cell
phone (nokia 6162) and dial into my ISP.  Anyone hear of any success on
this?  If so, any chance of a website that may have some info?  I looked
at linmodems.org and didn't see anything.  The modem I bought is a
Viking Components RFM56KPCNOK modem.  I'm not keen on the multi dongle
thing, but it's livable.