actualy, from what I can find.. it's the Xfree people who had this stupid
printing idea.. what it does is allow code used to render X output, to
also render print output.. so they can re-use rendering code.. which is
usefull, and not usefull.  they want a better solution, this was just what
they were able to come up with for a short-term solution to a long-term
.PS output problem.. *shrug*  probably never had a postscript person
on-staff before.. now at sun, the office guys can get it right.. if we
prod them enough. :)

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)