On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 08:10:50AM -0600, Liz Burke-Scovill wrote:
> what doesn't work about it - considering all an asp is is a server side
> script redirecting or filtering content, it shouldn't matter the browser
> as long as the server side is running IIS or something M$-ey...

One possibility:

MSIE gives URI extensions precedence over HTTP content-type.  MSIE probably
knows that .asp = HTML document, but Netscape may (should) not.  So if, for
some reason, an ASP document doesn't include a content-type header, it will
work fine for MSIE users, but may not be handled as intended by Netscape.

The one caveat is that, having never worked with ASP, I don't know whether
the content-type is added automagically by the ASP engine (like a static
page) or you have to set it manually within the script (like CGI or apache
modules).  If it's automatic, then the content-type header should always be
present.

(As for the MSIE "quirk", I discovered that when an MSIE user tried to access
one of my apache modules with a string of parameters that ended with
"...&EmailAddress=user at company.com" and MSIE complained about it not being an
executable file.  After a few minutes' puzzlement, I realized that, despite
the "content-type: text/plain", MSIE said, ".com?  That's a DOS command
file!" and proved it by adding "&dummy=foo" to the end of the parameter list.
Idjits.)

--
SGI products are used to create the 'Bugs' that entertain us in theatres
and at home. - SGI job posting