So, I went and got the Linksys modem, took back the old one, got them to
provision the new one and all *seemed* fine.

I got home, no dhcp lease after trying.  It appears they dropped all old
provisioned DHCP leases.  I called them up and bitched, they got unhappy
I wasn't using windows.

I called again later, told them I hooked up a brand new w2k machine with
a VMWare MAC address (tee hee) and they provisioned it, worked
immediately.

Note to all: when making modem change, tell them your changing computers
too.  Give them a new MAC for your machine, change it in your network
card EEPROM.

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/

...one of the top CBS reporters here in the Twin Cities, came up to me and
said, "Governor." Here was her question: "How do you respond to some people
who say you're spending too much time on state security and not enough time
on Major League Baseball and the Twins?"
	-Jesse Ventura, Salon interview 12.17.01
	  on why he thinks media are jackals and his partial
	  justification for ignoring the 'baseball issue'.