"Austad, Jay" wrote:

> You can aggregate 100Mbit cards fairly easily.  How much data could you be
> pumping across the link that you would actually need 1000Mbit?

It's about 40GB right now.

I need to copy the entire database at unscheduled times.  Which means it could
be in the middle of the day when 100 users are on.  So I want to have as little
impact as possible.
It's a failover system, so there is no choice but to do the copy right away.

With my current 100Mbit connection it takes about 2 hours.

I'll test out the multiple 100Mbit card idea first.
I suspect the drives would be overloaded by more than one stream of data, as
they are on
the same I/O channel.

But you never can be sure until you test it out.

This is very good news that I don't need the switch.
I was told that I needed a switch for this.  That was not my idea.

Thanks to all for the info.

Paul