On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 09:27:31AM -0600, Terry Houle wrote:
> Probably a dump question but I got some Linux decals that say
> "Warning:Turning off the power or pressing reset switch could lose contents
> of hard drive.  If you must restart this system, please get help or use
> Ctrl-Alt-Del".  My question is if Linux is more of a problem than Windows if
> shutdown improperly?

Potentially.  It's still not likely to corrupt your filesystem, but
linux tends to run a lot more background processes ("daemons", in
unix-speak) than Windows does, so there's that much more of a chance
for unwritten data to be lost.

One other little detail which those stickers neglect to mention is
that ctrl-alt-del doesn't work if X owns the display.  You have to go
back to a text console (by hitting ctrl-alt-F1 (or any Fkey from
1-6)) before ctrl-alt-del will be caught and translated to a system
action.  (Usually a reboot or shutdown by default in most
distributions, but you can make it do anything you want by editing
/etc/inittab.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss