On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 06:41:14AM -0600, Terry Houle wrote:
> My only reason for the comment about GUI vs. command line is that I want to
> engage our group in Linux and make sure they see how easy it can be.

And my point is that there are many people who find Windows to be a
handicap to getting work done, but can't put their finger on how or
why.  The reason is because they don't even know what a command line
is.  To say that you can show them Linux but not a command line for
risk of scaring them is to say that you won't risk enlightening them
either.

As to Mr. Wagner's comment that *my* attitude is somehow responsible
for fettering the growth of Linux, that's almost as bass-ackwards.
(no offense.)  You can't try teach a pig to sing -- it's futile and
annoys the pig.  Whether Linux or Windows, if someone wants to get a
job done and is interested in how, they won't mind learning a new way
of thought.  If new thought scares them, then they are most likely
going to be annoyed pigs.  Choosing songs they like better won't make
better music. ;)

I recommend not limiting your speakers ahead of time, and let your
groups work out how comfortable with topics they are as part of
discussion.  Maybe the time for the command line is not right off at
the first meeting, but don't censor it.

Cheers,
Phil

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood