Phil Mendelsohn writes:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 08:25:08PM -0600, Terry Houle wrote:
>
> > To not discourage our group it would be best just to use GUI and not
> > the command line to scare people off.
>
> Sorry, but I just lost all interest.  There's no more reason to stay
> away from the command line than there is to stay away from GUIs
> entirely.  It's a little like teaching people to drive, but not to
> make left turns, since 3 rights will do fine and are easier.
>
> You might look for people that can make it interesting, though.

Phil,

Your comment is a classic example of the topic of this Newsforge
article from a little over a week ago:

  http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/12/05/1259245&mode=thread

  Making Linux look harder than it is

  Thursday December 06, 04:34 AM EST    [ GNU/Linux ]
  - By Robin "Roblimo" Miller -
  Many "gurus" teaching new users about Linux make it look harder than
  it needs to be, and apparently fail to explain that yes, you can make
  PowerPoint-style presentations in Linux, you can view Web Pages that
  use Flash animation and other "glitz" features, and that you can
  manage all your files though simple "point, click, drag and drop"
  visual interfaces. Could the biggest problem with Linux usability be
  that most of the people teaching newbies to use Linux are too smart
  and know too much?

  .... Continues ....

Isn't the point to get newbies interested -- and converted away
from the Microsoft stuff -- to show them that there is an alternative.
The point is not to rub their nose in what might be too complicated
for them in the beginning.

I mean, yeah I learned Linux via the "fundamentalist" approach as
well (almost 6 yrs ago now). But if I am to ever convince my parents
that they don't need Windows2000 + MS Office + IE just to check
their Yahoo! email 3 times per week and maybe type-up a recipe with
Word -- then I better damn well NOT force them to use the friggin
command-line from the start! :)

I understand your point... But I think this attitude may be one factor
in what keeps Linux from expanding. :-\

    Matt

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/