On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:27:44PM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:42:18PM -0600, Dan Drake wrote:
> > I tried another upgrade, and this time it asked me if I wanted to take
> > care of that config file myself (I said "yes!!").
>
> Yes, Debian is an evolving creature, debconf in particular.

I don't think Dan's problem had anything to do with debconf, but rather
with the woody/sid X servers which don't seem to care if you have a
working XF896Config or not, but instead want to ask you some questions
(which do, admittedly, end up in debconf's database, but that doesn't make
it a debconf issue), then blow away the old config and replace it with a
newly-generated one.  Potentially good for new installs, but potentially
bad for upgrades to systems which already have X up and running.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss