Timothy Wilson <wilson at visi.com> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2001, ScanMan wrote:
>
> > What is RSI? Do you mean Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
>
> RSI is "Repetitive Stress Injury." My understanding is that CTS is a
> specific type of RSI.

Yeah.  There's a lot of stuff packed into your wrist, and a lot of it
passes through the carpal tunnel.  Carpal Tunnel happens when the bits of
cartilage in tendons and the `wrapper' material (the Carpal Tunnel itself)
protecting all that stuff gets inflamed due to lack of lubrication.  There
are apparently three main nerves in the wrist -- one on the thumb side,
one on the pinky side, and one right down the middle.  The big problem is
that the inflammation can compress the median nerve, causing pain and
tingling sensations.

Anyway, I'd suggest doing lots of reading, and you'd probably benefit from
staying away from the keyboard over the holidays..  Of course, that might
have little or nothing to do with it -- I understand the Mayo Clinic
determined that there is not a causal relationship between keyboarding and
CTS.  CTS does exist, but I guess their analysis is that it just happens
-- keyboarders apparently get it at the same frequency as other people.

BTW, I don't have Carpal Tunnel or anything -- I've just seen lots of
folks get it and have read about their experiences, plus I recently
learned more about it in a class..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If you choke a smurf, what