On Friday 14 December 2001 13:23, Michael Vieths wrote:
> All that was previously asked was 'where do I find gtk.h'.  I went into
> /var/log/packages and grepped for it, and found the package it was in.
> Yeah, their site is broken. Then email them and say 'Selecting version 8.0
> and i386 doesn't work' and describe the error.  If you want the one from
> slackware-8.0, replace 'slackware-current' with 'slackware-8.0' in the
> directories given there.  I just checked, and it works.

True.  That is what I originally asked, though I suppose I should have also
asked what package I needed to install it instead of taking all of Gnome as
well.  As I would like to not use the space for Gnome if possible.  As to the
site with the packages, that's what I've been doing for a while, as their
site has been broken for some time.  As to mailing them, I don't know if it
will do much good.  They seem to not really be responding much these days.
It took a number of e-mails from me to finally get them to respond to why my
order was taking so long.

> I've noticed the decline in quality, too... when I first installed
> Slackware 8, I had to hack one of the setup files to get it to mount
> reiserfs properly during the package installation phase.  Seems to be
> fixed now, but it was kind of odd to run into.

Exactly.  I noticed the same thing on the installation as well.  Luckily, I'm
not running reisers so I didn't have to monkey with this.  Either way, I
think I'm going to give Debian a try and go from there.  If I don't like it,
I'll just go back to Slackware.

Thanks,

Shawn