Hmm, a great idea.  Perhaps they could formally call it something like 'Testing', and accept packages that have hung around in unstable for a while, but haven't been proved sufficiently for stable.  And they could give it a cool nickname, like 'Woody'.

Sorry Scanman, I know virtually nothing about Linux, so this is the first chance I've had to do geek sarcasm :)  Check out http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages for full info - testing/woody provides me with just the right amount of excitement!

Cheers, Paul