Because it's ... umm ... stable.  :) OK, that's a bit lame because 2.4 seems to have proven itself by now, but Debian is deliberately conservative, and therefore dependable (Kind of like Strom Thurmond? - not necesarily what you want, but at least you know what it is.  The conservative bit translates directly).

Having said that it's easy to upgrade to Woody, which is up to 2.4.16 last time I checked, and is running just fine on my box (except for all the stuff I don't know how to do yet, but that's down to me not it!)

Finally Woody is due to become the new stable soon - maybe Feb?

Cheers, Paul
--

Second, I've been looking at Debian as another distro to install on a system.  However, the one thing holding me back from it for the most part is the stable version is still at 2.2.19 kernel it looks like.  Can someone explain
why Debian is so far behind in their stable release compared to all the other distros?

Thanks,
Shawn