On Wednesday 12 December 2001 14:44, Paul Harris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've inherited an old laptop (Fujitsu Lifebook 520D, P120/40MB, 810MB) that
> I'd like to use as a browsing station and for some lite word processing.
> At risk of instigating a holy war, I'd welcome opinions of what window
> manager, browser and editor to put on it.  Yes I know X places a burden on
> its limited resources, but a) I want a fully graphical browser, b) I like
> WYSIOEABARAOWYAG* text editing, and c) I like GUIs.  I use Debian and KDE
> (KDM, Konq etc) on my main PC, but figure that KDE might be a bit heavy for
> this machine.  The text editing doesn't need to be flash, but the more
> features the better.  Oh, and any suggestions on partition sizes would be
> cool too (is that all?!)
>
> Cheers, Paul
>
> *WYSIOEABARAOWYAG = What You See Is Only Ever At Best A Rough Approximation
> Of What You Actually Get (read this in a mag 10 years ago and it stuck!)

Having run Linux on that exact configuration I'll make the following
suggestions:
1. Distro - probably doesn't matter. When I had this system running until
last year when the 32MB RAM chip blew, I ran a variety of things and the last
one was SuSE 6.4. (At that point I had a 4GB HD so I had plenty of space.) If
you want sound get something that has OSS.

2. Window manager: Ice WM. Not reasons, I just like it. ;-)

3. Browser: Opera. Either the free version with the banners or pay for the
ad-less version. Netscape is okay once it gets started. Unfortunatly half the
sites you want to visit will go out of existance waiting for that to happen!

Check the Linux Laptops site (url escapes me at this time) because they have
a good discussion of the machine and configuration. If you run into any
issues contact me off-list and I'll be glad to offer words of encouragment if
not advice.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com