On 10 Dec 2001, Ben Lutgens wrote:

> He was talking about copying a cd. I was talking about play being able
> to play the game under wine. He mentions using some windows software to
> make a copy, I mentioned "dd".
>
> if dd won't make a valid copy of a cdrom it probably shouldn't legally
> be copied. :-)

last i heard i had the legal right to make "fair use" copies. But to most
people here that is preaching to the choir.

i guess the point that i am disputing is this: why do you say it should
not legally be copied.

back in the days of floppies, when you bought a program or game, the
manuals instructed oyu to make copies for safe keeping. and as durable as
CDs they do not last forever (just ask the people who use CDs as backup
medium.

another thing that i have against that statement is this: lets say i
bought Diablo III, Diablo III comes on 5 CDs (hypothetically) if i install
it using wine  cannot umount the 1st CD to continue installation, the only
recourse i have is to create ISO images, mount them loop, edit wine config
to use the loop device as a cdrom, lo and behold i have 5 cdrom drives.
In this case i believe it is my legal right to create an ISO image, and
this is just to play the game.

 -munir