The best "open source" sites I've seen are two in Finland. -I don't have
the URLs at hand anymore - They are simple ftp sites they called "Garbo"s
and were maintained by a University in Helsinki and another in Oulu. I
found them through the many QBasic sites around but these Garbos were
mostly C and Pascal.

Guidelines for submission are clearly described. Many of the programs
posted are "works in progress" at best, but there are some real gems, too.

Commercial Linux distributions include many of these open source postings.

Linux owes a lot to the Finlanders.