On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 11:00, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 03:47:53AM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:
> > Quoting Austad, Jay (austad at marketwatch.com):
> > > Don't back up your mail spool.  It changes so frequently that a backup of it
> > > will be useless anyway.

This is the purpose of LVM's snapshot ability. The problem the tell me
is that the applications need to sync all the buffers to disk just
before snap is taken to insure data integrity. AFAIK, no applications
support this functionality. My question to our LVM hackers was: Does the
VFS layer do something like this, or even kflushd? And if so, would it
be possible to have LVM call the appropriate IOCTLs to facilitate
telling the apps "FLUSH NOW DAMMIT WE WANNA SNAP!@!!!"

but I'm just an "Idiot Ben" and not qualified for this high-level
thinking :-)