On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:00:50AM -0600, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> Of course if it's really that important, you'll probably
> be set up with RAID and other stuff, I'd hope.

That's basically my thought.  For something as transient as a mail
spool, it seems like it would make a lot more sense to just mirror/
RAID it and not bother with backups.  Sure, you lose 700 email
messages if the whole thing dies and it's not backed up, but, OTOH,
if it dies 2 hours after the backup runs, those 700 messages will be
duplicated and you'll still lose the 700 that are in the spool at the
time of the crash.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss