On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 16:04, Brandon Hutchinson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm running Red Hat 7.2 and want to add NTFS read (at least) support to the
> kernel. Apparently Red Hat does not include this support in provided kernel.
>
> Is there an easy way to take your current configuration and have it dumped to
> a ".config" file in /usr/src/linux so that I can simply add NTFS support
> without having to go through all of the kernel configuration options? Of
> course, I would then go through the required steps to build and install the
> new kernel.

Provided you have the sources installed, you can cd to /usr/src/linux
and run make menuconfig, find the NTFS option and set it as "M" to
compile it as a module. Then you should be able to run make clean dep
bzImage modules modules_install to get your new module installed.

It used to be that RH shipped with a /boot/config-$KERNEL_VERSION file,
which was essentially a .config from a kernel compile...... I can't seem
to locate the config file for the default kernel. If you had that you
could cp it to the kernel source tree top dir and run "make oldconfig"
and then run "make menuconfig" to use the menu interface to edit that
and then do the compile steps I stated before (make clean dep bzImage
modules) to build the whole works. But I'm not sure where the hell they
hid that .config now.