On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:24:53AM -0600, Michael Glaser (mglaser at umn.edu) wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2001 at 18:25, Amy Tanner wrote:
>
> I may be trying to do something similar and I am also in need of help.
>
> I have a lab full of Win2K clients that authenticate to a WinNT4 server to download
> mandatory profiles and among other things, printers. Printing has been very problematic and
> I would like to see if I can use LPRng/Samba to manage printing with a Linux server. I
> haven't made any progress however.

<snip>

You'll need /etc/lpd.conf file also.  Here are the only settings I have in mine:

allow_user_setting=nobody
filter_path=/usr/local/lib/LPRng:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/etc
client_config_file=/etc/lpd.conf
printer_perms_path=/etc/lpd.perms
server_config_file=/etc/lpd.conf
lf=/var/log/lpd.log

Here's the URLs I referenced alot:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html
http://www.astart.com/lprng/smb.htm (Samba & LRPng)
http://www.lprng.com/LPRng-HOWTO/LPRng-HOWTO.html

To troubleshoot, follow the steps in the samba DIAGNOSIS.txt file.  Also
view the log files in /var/log/samba (or whereever you put them).  And
make sure you can print from the linux print server too, so you can eliminate
some Windows oddity.

If you want samba to authenticate against your WinNT4 server, you'll need
winbindd, which comes with the latest version of samba.  You'll need to
have the samba server join the domain (reference: http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#AEN400).  Make sure you follow the steps
exactly.  I found I had to remove the machine account from the Win server and
re-add it a few times.  Then, in smb.conf I used security=domain.

I spent a few weeks getting it all to work so if you'd like more help,
feel free to email me offline.
--
Amy Tanner
amy at real-time.com