I struggled with this at work a few months ago, and finally got it
working.  I wrote it all down in a webpage, mostly for my own reference;
glad I did because a patch wiped out mail.cf and by that time I'd
forgotten everything that I'd done.  Anyway, you can read my notes on it
at http://herd.plethora.net/~pscheie/unix/fixing_sendmail.html

Petre