On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Amy Tanner wrote:

> What is the best way to remove particular xinetd services from a box?  I can
> turn the service off, but would prefer to remove them entirely.

i am not sure on what you mean by removing a certain service, if you mean
not have the service activated then you can just add the "disable = yes"
in that services config.

or if you are certain that this particular service is not to be used again
you can just delete this services entry in the config files

If on the other hand you want to remove that particular service
executable then apt-get remove(?uninstall), or rpm -e is what you are
looking for.

> Can someone enlighten me on why certain services are run out of xinetd.d
> vs init.d?  Or point me to a URL explaining.  Thank you.

I am not sure on the mechanics of it, but i seem to remember reading
something concerning this on www.xinetd.org.

 -munir