On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:33:22 -0600 (CST)
"Nate Carlson" <natecars at real-time.com> wrote:

> My best guess on this is that the virus that was in that message
contained
> some code to erase the CMOS or something along those lines. I heard
> someone mention that one of the viruses going around can do this in
> unusual cases, but didn't really pay much attention to it. Anyone know
> more than I do about this?

Chernobyl virus attacks by reprogramming a flash BIOS chip with garbage,
this has a way of killing the computer. Also, it is theoretically possible
for a virus to scramble CMOS settings to create an unbootable condition,
for instance: improper CPU multiplier or busspeed, DRAM RAS/CAS timings,
wait states, PCI or ISA bus speed etc.

I'd do a hard CMOS reset on both (pull the battery or CMOS jumper and wait
a spell) and see if either responds. Could be coincidence too; that P75
must be getting to the end of life for it's CMOS battery, and when it
dies, these type of symptoms may manifest.

They used to say that you cannot harm a computer by anything you type on
the keyboard. I don't believe it anymore.

          -.bill.layer.- .-frogtown.mn.usa.-

.-Microsoft.Windows.XP.- -.suddenly.everything.sucks-.