On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:44:27AM -0600, Jason wrote:
> Anyone have much luck getting a linux box to recieve syslog messages? I set
> syslog remote <server ip> and set syslog enable but when I try set syslog
> test lame message I never see it in my log files. I am guessing I am missing
> the suffix in my syslog.conf. So if some one can give me some clues that
> would be great.

Are you starting syslogd with a -r on the receiving box?  From man
syslogd:

       -r     This  option  will  enable  the facility to receive
              message from the network using an  internet  domain
              socket  with  the syslog service (see services(5)).
              The default is to not receive any messages from the
              network.

              This  option  is  introduced  in version 1.3 of the
              sysklogd package.  Please  note  that  the  default
              behavior  is  the  opposite  of  how older versions
              behave, so you might have to turn this on.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss