FWIW, Macs used to have this same problem with Netware 3.x servers years
ago; the manuals even had a chapter on how to rebuild the index when it
inevitably got trashed.  Macs in a peer-to-peer arrangement, where it's
all native, local file systems, seems to work, but Macs and servers
always seems to have problems from time to time.

Petre

[TCLUG] Fun with Netatalk: