> Anyway I have a client with an artdpartmen teaming with macs.   The owners
> wanted to give Microsoft the shaft and use a linux backed.  Which I was
more
> than happy to let them try.
>
> They have several issues with file names.  Some of the naming conventions
hae
> bullets, parenthesis. tildes, and other bizzare characters that don't seem
> make things happy. Often they can't open files from a mac as it gives a
> corruption error.

Sounds about right.  I'm getting into this kinda thing too but haven't done
any real testing yet.  If you figure something out let us know.
:-)

> They also have problems with Photoshop and quark.  The might be able to
open a
> document but can't close it, save it, or what ever.

We have this problem too.  It was because the server was reporting the wrong
amount of free space ( it would jump from several terebytes to a few k when
trying to save a file.  The actually size was about 18GB.  The fix was to
save locally and then copy it over.  We think it's because were trying to
use an alpha but haven't been able to test it with an x86.
We also have an Origin 200 that is running some version of atalkd/netatalk.
Don't know what version it is though.  It's never given us trouble.

> I am curious if anyone else out there is attempting to use linux as a
> fileserver and what you might have done to get around some of these
issues.

They should probably come up w/ a better naming convention for there files.
It's a good idea anyway since a lot of those characters probably wouldn't
work on a win server either.

sim