> I am curious if anyone else out there is attempting to use linux as a
> fileserver and what you might have done to get around some of these issues.

we had a client with a bunch of Macs, and a linux fileserver. We ended up
having them buy DAVE, which lets macs talk to an SMB server. it was an ugly
way to do it, but it works.
DAVE is kind of pricey, tho.. about $100/seat. I've heard something about
some free software from MS that comes with NT Server, that may do the same
thing, but since I never really touch NT, I don't know anything about it.

Any hope of them switching to OSX anytime soon, and using real NFS?

the file naming garbage that macs let you get away with seems even worse
than what Windows will let you do... I say we ought to hang a few marketing
people as an example to those who allow their programs to write abominable
things like punctuation marks in filenames.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises