-- Dave Sherohman <esper at sherohman.org> wrote:
> Pull the floppy/DOK out after
> saving and before the kernel flushes the cache (either because you
> unmounted it or because the kernel wanted the cache space for
> something else), and you've just lost your data.

	You're right; I tested this as you suggested and lost the test file.

And Jay Austad suggested:
> Your best bet is to use something like supermount, which will always make
> sure the data on  your removable devices is synced.

	This would be nice, except that AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), supermount
is undergoing a major rewrite for the 2.4 kernel (which is why Mandrake
didn't include it in 8.1). I'm currently in the process of upgrading from
2.4.5 to 2.4.16 (thought I would wait a while for the VM to stabalize) and
would dearly love to use something other than the brain-dead autofs that I am
currently stuck with.
	:Peter