Jason Jorgensen wrote:

> Has anyone setup some sort of VPN server in linux that supports windows
> clients? If so, how secure is it?

PoPToP works well.

> I am in the process of setting up PopTop with the MS PPE patched ppp. Is
> there a better alternative?

Not bad.  None that I know of that supports all the way back to 98.
And, as several people have mentioned, cipe.
I would go with whichever is fastest.  You would probably have to do
some testing to figure that out though.

> Basically I want to get remote employee windows dialup clients into out
> network as secure as possible.

IIRC ipsec doesn't like masquerading which is why we didn't use it (May
be fixed now).  It also doesn't come w/ a free client for windows.
:)
It was fairly easy to setup a VPN.  I was only responsible for the
firewall and didn't setup the VPN so I can't really help you there.
PoPToP is pretty easy to configure though.

sim