Dan,

Here's a script that is totally untested and almost
sure to mess everything up, but it is intended to fix
the problem. I must agree that the most economical
use of effort would be to get the original script to
do it right the first time.

================
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

opendir(D, '.');
chomp(@filenames = readdir(D));
closedir(D);

@oldnames = grep { m/\.tif\.gif$/i } @filenames;
@newnames{@oldnames} = map { s/\.tif\.gif$/.gif/i } @oldnames;

foreach $name (@oldnames)
{
   rename($name, $newnames{$name});
}
============

A happy day to you,

Troy

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 09:16:20AM -0500, dan williamson wrote:
> After it completes, the files are named: DSCF0089.TIF.jpg
> Is there a utility something  I can use to do a mass rename by stripping the
> .tif extension? I have looked around but haven't had much luck.

mmv lets you rename groups of files.  There is a Debian package
for it, and there's probably an rpm as well.  As somebody else
said, its probably better to try to change the script so that
it gets the names right to begin with.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |