> After it completes, the files are named: DSCF0089.TIF.jpg
> Is there a utility something  I can use to do a mass rename by stripping the
> .tif extension? I have looked around but haven't had much luck.

basename
And you probably would be better off using that in the conversion script,
to get it right the first time, rather than have to make one pass to
convert and then another to fix the names.

Just FYI, my conversions are done more like this:

	for temp in $*
	  do
	    PIC=`basename $temp .TIF`
	    convert ${PIC}.TIF ${PIC}.gif
	  done
	exit 0

$* (and $@ for that matter) expand to "$1 $2 ... $n"

...which means you can enter the files on the command line, for more
flexibility:

        mytif2mpg bob.TIF fred.TIF sophie.TIF
or	mytif2jpg *.TIF
or	mytif2jpg bob*.TIF

Note there is some sloppiness in the above script. You want to put in some
error catching stuff (like you had) etc. It does everything in the current
directory.

Also, convert is able to do resizing (-geometry) and rotation (-rotate).

Andy