Okay, I got a script to work, but it does something strange. It converts the
files from tif to jpg, but it makes 2 copies, 1 is the normal size and the
other is a smaller version of which I don't need. I'm just learning
scripting, and I have poured over this script for hours trying to figure out
why this is happening. The script is as follows:

#!/bin/sh

mkdir old
for filename in *.TIF; do
    case $filename in
	*.TIF )
	    infilename=$filename
	    outfilename=${filename%.jpg}.jpg
	    convert $infilename R$outfilename
	    mv $infilename old;;
	* )
	    echo "error: $filename not a TIF file." ;;
    esac
done

After it completes, the files are named: DSCF0089.TIF.jpg
Is there a utility something  I can use to do a mass rename by stripping the
.tif extension? I have looked around but haven't had much luck.

TIA!
Dan