On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:04:18PM -0500, Steve Siegfried wrote:

> Jon,
>
> After your last posting, I did a little extra homework on this.
>
> The sites you'd originally complained about as "coming and going" were:
> 	http://slashdot.org
> 	http://slashdot.com
> 	http://www.air1.com
> 	http://linuxgazette.com
> 	http://www.csc.calpoly.edu
>
> Note that an nslookup on slashdot.org and slashdot.com map to the same ip
> address.
>
> Note also that, as I gathered the data below, it's about 10:30pm CDT and
> I'm on an AT&T Broadband cable modem in Mendota Heights.

> http://slashdot.{org,com} appear to have problems responding to traceroutes,
> but only after leaving *.ip.att.net on routes owned by "exodus.net" (starting
> at hop 14, see http://www.exodus.net for details).  Presently slashdot.org is
> NOT responding to pings and traceroutes never resolve, all due to a problem
> somewhere within exodus.net.
>
> www.air1.com at 209.67.75.64 is 15 hops away, and is presently responding
> to pings pretty consistently between 55 and 59ms with no dropped. packets.
> Tracrouting this site hangs can sometime "hang" for a while (in real time)
> somewhere in exodus.net (at or near the same router that's having trouble
> finding slashdot.org).
>
> http://linuxgazette.com at 64.39.18.140 is 16 hops away, and is presently
> responding to pings pretty consistently between 32 and 49ms with no dropped
> packets.
>
> http://www.csc.calpoly.edu at 129.65.241.3 is 22 hops away and is presently
> responding to pings pretty consistently between 110 and 130ms, also with no
> dropped packets.
>
> Conclusion:
>
> AT&T (in the guise of *.mediaone.net and *.att.net) appear to have their
> internal house pretty much in order, but rely on external connections to
> non-AT&T networks that are less than fully stable.

Mediaone (AT&T) in New Brighton Area here. I have a box in Denmark that
I basically connect to 12 hours a day, connection goes over alter.net
and the last two days have been horrible, right now as I am typing the
keystroke lag is sometimes over 2 seconds long. Sometimes the connection
just dies. It seems out of control of att, but it's just to unstable for
to use for ssh when I work on the other side of the Globe.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>