On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:35:44AM -0500, Michael Fraase wrote:
>Just about the only thing that's keeping us from migrating our servers
>to some variant of Linux is cross-platform backup software.
How cross platform. Get a linux box setup, dump that "commercial" crap backup
software being used and go with amanda. If you have mac's, have the mac users
put stuff on an appleshare on a *nix server and backup that servers disk at
night.

>I've never yet restored anything but our Macs completely from a backup
>set (with Windows it's just easier to reformat/reinstall) but I'm
>regularly pulling single files and directories from the tapes.
You could setup your current software to backup to a linux/(ugh)NT system, and
have the backup software dump that.

>Is there software for Linux that will allow me to do the same. I want it
>transparent, reliable, and in the background.
Amanda! www.amanda.org. It's never let me down. It's fully automated, and if
you have a changer, you'll never have to even look at it to backup/restore
ever again. Not only that, it automagically compares modification dates and
schedules different levels of incrementals and full backups over your tape
schedule so you aren't filling up every tape with full-dumps of data that's
already backed up.

I've never heard of what you were using, but amanda is in production in HUGE
shops across the country that have far greater backup needs than your's I'm
sure. (Not that you don't have a great need, but amanda is running backups for
a couple large universities that I can think of right off the top of my head.)

It's also well documented and mailing lists are very informative. You got a
question, post it, and you'll have a *plethora* (yeah yeah) of answers within
a day. Go get that from the engineers of BRU or Dantz or whoever else makes
crappy commercial backup software.
Thanks,
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator

sleep: Command not found - The story of my life...