I am also interested in this.  We have about the same configuration.
We just bought another drive for backing up linux servers.  Kinda a pain
and not much room.  I would rather use the same backup device for
everything (It's several times faster and larger than the other tape
drive.  DLT 4000.  Very nice).

Michael Fraase wrote:

> Just about the only thing that's keeping us from migrating our servers
> to some variant of Linux is cross-platform backup software.
>
> Currently we're using Dantz Retrospect to backup everything on the LAN
> to DAT connected to one of the servers via SCSI. It's transparent,
> happens in the background and all I have to do is remember to keep the
> tapes straight and keep feeding them to the tape beast.

Retrospect ROOLZ. :)

> I've never yet restored anything but our Macs completely from a backup
> set (with Windows it's just easier to reformat/reinstall) but I'm
> regularly pulling single files and directories from the tapes.

*Your average "MACS RULE!!!" shpeel here...*

> Is there software for Linux that will allow me to do the same. I want it
> transparent, reliable, and in the background.

I would like to see something like this also.

sim