On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Stephen R. Wilcoxon wrote:
> I have to disagree with the installation complaints you give.  I had
> Northpoint DSL until they went under and the installer they sent was
> clueless (and I was somewhat pissed when I saw the finished install).  I
> then got Time Warner RoadRunner Cable Modem service (no other choice for
> broadband although it looks like some of the new Qwest DSLAMs may give me
> a choice) and the installer they sent (sub-contractor) was superb -- I was
> expecting a crappy install (like when we got cable service), but this guy
> knew exactly what he was doing.  In my case, there was no PC tech -- the
> guy installed the line and then had me test the connectivity (I signed off
> on not wanting their software bundle).

Yeah, that's also exactly what the guy I talked to at RoadRunner told me
-- he asked what OS I was running, I said 'Linux', he said "OK, no
problem, but the tech won't be able to config your PC, can you be there to
do that?" Later on in the conversation, he actually also said "Oh, and by
the way, if you don't have a firewall yet, I'd highly recommend that you
get one installed". I was actually impressed! Of course, we'll see what
actually happens when the installer comes tommorrow.  (I love it.. order
Friday, install Wednesday.. we'll see if the install actually happens
though; they are gonna have to dig cable..) And for $20/mo for the first 3
months.. heck, I might keep it around for a bit after I get my DSL just
for the fun of it. :)

> The only two complaints I have with my cable modem are no fixed IP (unless
> I want to spend ~$100 more a month for "business" service which offers
> almost nothing except the static IP) and the current barrage of CR/CR2/CR3
> hits.

Advantage I see of Business is you can get higher upstream. 'course, I
still like DSL better... *waits impatiently until Qwest gets the Remote
DSLAM in my area so I can hook up through Real Time..*