On Sat 2001/08/11 13:36:37 CDT, Brian <lxy at cloudnet.com> writes:
> Verizon sucks.  Qworst is a given.  All cable service sucks because in
> order for a cable modem to work you need the cable installers
> (clueless) to install the cable hardware and a PC tech (usually doesn't
> understand networking past what their sheet tells them) to make the end to
> end connection.  Took 2 months for my cable modem to work properly.  Now
> it's saturated with CR/CRII/CRIII hits and my service is degrading
> slowly.  I miss DSL :-(

I have to disagree with the installation complaints you give.  I had
Northpoint DSL until they went under and the installer they sent was
clueless (and I was somewhat pissed when I saw the finished install).  I
then got Time Warner RoadRunner Cable Modem service (no other choice for
broadband although it looks like some of the new Qwest DSLAMs may give me
a choice) and the installer they sent (sub-contractor) was superb -- I was
expecting a crappy install (like when we got cable service), but this guy
knew exactly what he was doing.  In my case, there was no PC tech -- the
guy installed the line and then had me test the connectivity (I signed off
on not wanting their software bundle).

The only two complaints I have with my cable modem are no fixed IP (unless
I want to spend ~$100 more a month for "business" service which offers
almost nothing except the static IP) and the current barrage of CR/CR2/CR3
hits.