Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> writes:

> Quoting apu islam (isla0005 at tc.umn.edu):
> > I am planning to run a production web server at my home using Qwest DSL deluxe
> > package(1 mbps downstream, 1 mbps upstream). The webserver application will
> > not be havily data intensive, it will have mysql databases on the back end and
> > some large chunk of applications to keep it loaded.
> >
> > I do not know much about qwest DSL service and stability. So do you guys think
> > it would be wise to run a production server using DSL ? I currently have cable
> > and I know I am not going to run it on a cable.
>
> It would be cheaper to get a database driven web site from a local ISP. I'm not
> talking co-locationm, just find an ISP that does MySQL and supports whatever
> language your writing your web application in.
>
> It will be a whole lot cheaper then the 1Mb telco fee from Qworst. A helluva lot
> cheaper once you through the ISP charges on top of that.

Depends what you want.  I'm paying $160/month for 768k all-up. I can
probably do a single hosted site considerably cheaper than that. On
the other hand, I'm currently running a couple of dozen virtual
domains off of this setup; I'm not sure I could do *that* cheaper. On
the third hand, only a handfull of them are *mine*, the rest are
things I'm doing for friends since there's spare space.

You'll certainly get better reliability and support from a good
hosting setup.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/