On 9 Aug 2001, at 14:45, Andrew Nemchenko wrote:

> I've seen scientists use a high powered laser to burn a hole in the atmosphere
> and then look through the microscope throught that hole. Since there is no
> atmosphere there is not light refraction, therefore they were able to see stars
> and planets very clearly with out any twinkle to them.

Are you sure that this is what's going on? "Burning" the
atmosphere doesn't create a vacuum. I think what you may be
thinking of is what is called active optics. This is used at many of
the more recent observatories. Scientists shine a laser in to the
sky and see how the atmosphere effects it. Then, the hundreds of
small motors move small parts reflecting surface inside the
telescope to take atmospheric disturbances in to account. This
allows images to be much more clearly focused.

That's what I think anyway.

Ben

Benjamin Exley
President