>On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Robert Sinland wrote:
>
>>  I have been looking for a scanning hand-held radio that would
>>pick up police and fire bands. Seems like Uniden has a corner
>>on the market there. Was just wondering if anyone could throw
>>a few recomendations at me.

I had a Uniden base scanner a few years ago that I paid around $150 for.
 I'd recommend a base scanner if you're going to be at work listening
for these things and you can get away with running an antenna wire.  I
believe mine came with a small antenna that mounted to the back as well.
 I had mine when I was driving tow trucks for a living.

One word though on scanners:  Don't get caught carrying one in your car
sitting loose on the seat, or one mounted on the dash like a CB.  Last I
heard, it's still illegal to have them in a vehicle.

Shawn