On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Robert Sinland wrote:

>   I have been looking for a scanning hand-held radio that would
> pick up police and fire bands. Seems like Uniden has a corner
> on the market there. Was just wondering if anyone could throw
> a few recomendations at me.

I bought my dad a Realistic (Radio Shack) PRO-91 scanner last year for his
b-day.  It's really the Cadillac of handhelds.  Radio Shack originally
sold them for $250, found them all over Ebay brand new for under $100.  I
see they have a PRO-92 now, which probably has more useless features and
blinky lights than the PRO-91.  Anyway the PRO-91 is a pretty good
scanner, I haven't thought of anything yet that it can't do.

If you're looking for a Police/Fire/Medical scanner I think just about
anything out there will serve you well.  My suggestion is to find a Uniden
or Realistic that does what you need it to and then go get it on Ebay for
way cheaper.

-Brian